SD Cooperative Boat Wash Program
Wash your boat and trailer!
B.A.S.S./GFP Cooperative Boat and
Trailer Wash Program
To help STOP the spread of these species and fish diseases, wash your boat, disinfect your live well and remove all mud and aquatic plants and animals from all gear!
The South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks is teaming with the South Dakota B.A.S.S. Federation in an effort to prevent the further spread of aquatic nuisance species such as zebra mussels and Eurasian watermilfoil. The program encourages boaters (including those with personal watercraft) to wash their boats (including livewells and anyplace that may hold water) and trailers before launching them into South Dakota waters.
Who should wash their boat and trailer?
Everyone, but especially boaters who have had their boat/personal watercraft in waters outside of South Dakota in South Dakota waters known to contain aquatic nuisance species. The following list of B.A.S.S./GFP cooperating boat wash stations all provide the necessary space and high pressure hot wash necessary for you to rid your boat and trailer of any unwanted "hitchhikers."
Who should disinfect their live well?
Anyone who has had their boat in waters that are known to contain VHS in the Great Lakes region. Clean and disinfect live wells with a 10% household bleach solution (i.e, 1 1/2 cup household bleach to gallon of water). Since chlorine is toxic to fish, rinse live well to remove residual chlorine and drain it away from fish-bearing waters.
Keep Aquatic Nuisance Species out of South Dakota's Waters, ALWAYS DO THE FOLLOWING:
- Always Inspect Your Boat & Trailer- Look for visible plants and animals before traveling and dispose of them in a trash bin.
- Always Drain Water - Drain all interior compartments (live wells, bilges, etc.) upon leaving a waterbody.
- Always Inspect & Clean Equipment -Wash equipment with 140-degree water (your local car wash hot water rinse), a 10-percent chlorine bleach and water solution, or a hot saltwater solution. Don't forget to wash clothing after wading or swimming in infested waters.
- Always allow equipment to dry- When possible, let your boat and equipment completely dry in the sun before launching in a different waterbody.
- Always Report Questionable Species because early detection may help prevent spreading.
NEVER DO THE FOLLOWING:
- Never release live Animals or Plants - This includes all aquarium species, bait, pets or water garden plants. Do not release these into the wild. If you cannot find another home for animals, dispose of them in a trash can or bury them. Seal plants in plastic bags and dispose. Dump water into the toilet or yard, far away from storm drains.
HOW TO BECOME A COOPERATOR
Facilities included in the B.A.S.S./GFP Cooperative Boat and Trailer Wash Program meet certain criteria, including:
- A willingness to participate.
- A willingness to cost-share and display a Boat Wash station sign.
- A well lit, pull-through bay with a high power hot water station.
- Easy to access with a vehicle towing a boat/trailer.
If you are interested in the Boat Wash Program contact Game, Fish and Parks at 605.223.7706
SD AIS Species
BOAT WASH STATIONS
|DeSmet||Mr. Billâ€™s Car Wash||109 4th St SW|
|Estelline||Daleâ€™s Sinclair||402 State Ave|
|Ft. Pierre||Shur Shine Car Wash||Deadwood Ave|
|Hartford||Sunnyside Carwash||201 E Hwy 38|
|Madison||Super Wash||304 NE 2nd Street|
|Milbank||Eastside Carwash||E Hwy 12|
|Westside Truck and Car Wash||504 24th Ave|
|Mitchell||Mega Wash||1905 N Main St|
|Mega Wash||800 E Kay Ave|
|Sportsmanâ€™s Car Wash||601 E Spruce St|
|Pierre||Super Car Wash||1100 N Garfield Ave|
|Truck-n-Car Wash||1513 E Wells Ave|
|Rapid City||Arnieâ€™s Pressure Wash||3100 S Hwy 79|
|Parkway Car Wash||206 E Blvd N|
|Zaug Wash||612 Timmons Blvd|
|Redfield||Appel Oil Company||833 W 3rd St|
|Sioux Falls||Clean Finish Car Wash||515 S Sycamore Ave|
|Shopâ€™n Cart Car Wash||4309 E 12th St|
|Superwash - 12th St||2000 W 12th St|
|Superwash - Marion Rd||801 S Marion Road|
|Wash World Car Wash||321 N Cliff Ave NE|
|Vermillion||Hendersonâ€™s Ultimate||821 Princeton St|
|Royal Car Wash||801 Stanford St|
|Watertown||Cenex - C Store||E Hwy 212|
|Super Wash||501 14th Ave NE|
|Westside Car Wash||715 3rd Ave NW|
|White River||Gillenâ€™s Station||Hwy 83 N 1st St|
|Yankton||Classic Car Wash||600 W 23rd St|