Snowmobile Licenses & Fees
Snowmobile Trails Program
South Dakota's Snowmobile Trails Program is entirely self-sufficient. The program receives no general tax fund dollars, but instead, relies upon three main income sources:
- Snowmobile registration fees
- Fuel tax reimbursement, which is based upon the number of registered snowmobiles in the state
- A 3% initial registration tax on the purchase price of new or used snowmobiles
Department of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles
Purchase at county treasurer's office:
- Resident $10/year
- Nonresidents $40* (temporary 5-day permit)
* Non-resident snowmobiles validly licensed in another state can be legally operated in South Dakota.
Both resident and non-residents may purchase a special five-day temporary permit for unlicensed snowmobiles. The permit is available online and at many trailside vendors.