Snowmobile Licenses & Fees
Snowmobile Trails Program
South Dakota's Snowmobile Trails Program is entirely self-sufficient. The Program receives no general tax fund dollars, but instead, relies upon three main income sources:
- Snowmobile registration fees
- Fuel tax reimbursement, which is based upon the number of registered snowmobiles in the state
- A 3% initial registration tax on the purchase price of new or used snowmobiles
Please note: Off-highway vehicles (OHVs/ATVs) cannot ride on designated state snowmobile trails even if they are equipped with tracks.
Department of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles
Purchase at county treasurer's office:
- Resident $10/year
- Nonresidents $40* (temporary 5-day permit)
* Non-resident snowmobiles validly licensed in another state can be legally operated in South Dakota.
Unlicensed snowmobiles (both resident and non-resident) may purchase a special five-day permit which is available at many trailside vendors.