ATVs & Off-Highway Vehicles
Rules & Regulations for Operation
State Park Areas
- Licensing Requirements: ATV Park visitors must license both South Dakota and out-of-state vehicles. A valid park entrance license is also required.
- No License / No Permit: If the vehicle is not licensed and/or does not have a valid park entrance license, then the vehicle must remain in the truck or on the trailer.
- Requirements: Each vehicle operated must be equipped with a horn, mirror, headlight, brake light, brakes and a license plate.
- Age Restrictions: All operators must be 14 years of age or older and possess a valid driver's license.
- Areas approved for riding: Operate vehicles only on designated park roads in South Dakota state parks and recreation areas or in the state off-highway vehicle area.
- Restricted Areas: Park visitors are not allowed to operate vehicles on paved or unpaved trails or on shorelines or beaches.
- Drivers must obey all traffic regulations.
- Eye Protection: Required of all users on public/park roads unless a windshield is in place.
- Helmets: Required of all users under 18 years of age on public/park roads.
Department of Revenue
Division of Motor Vehicles
ATVs & Golf Carts
Motorcycles & Motocross Bikes
Oahe Downstream & Revheim Bay OHV areas
- Park Entrance License: Off-highway vehicles are not required to be licensed or to have a park entrance license.
- Areas approved for riding: Riding is allowed only on designated areas inside the off-highway vehicle area.