- Trail Pass required: All trail users age 12 and older are required to have a trail pass (except on the trail within the city limits). Passes must be located on the person or the bicycle: trail users who are unable to show a trail pass will be subject to a fine.
- Trail Traffic: The trail is open to hiking, biking, horseback riding, cross county skiing and snowshoeing. No motorized vehicles are allowed on the trail. Exception: section of the trail is open to snowmobiles between Deadwood and Dumont.
- Wildlife: Avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Refrain from defacing natural features.
- All pets must be leashed.
- Camping: prohibited on the trail and trailheads.
- No campfires allowed.
- Smoking: not allowed on or adjacent to the trail.
- Discharging firearms or fireworks from or across the trail is strictly prohibited.
- Air guns and slingshots are not allowed on the trail.
- Trail Times: The trail is closed to all users from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise.
- Obey all traffic signs.
- Remain to the right side of the trail except to pass: Be sure to give a clear warning before passing others and do not pass others in the tunnels.
- Bicycles must yield to pedestrians and everyone must yield to horses.
- Keep children near adults.
- Use the buddy system: Travel with a buddy or in a group in case of an emergency.
- "Open Range" areas: these are areas where cattle roam freely. If you come to an area where cattle are on the trail, DO NOT spook them, speak in a calm voice and slowly work your way around them.
- Respect Landowners.
- Stay on the trail and be considerate of other users.
- Emergency Assistance: 911.