GFP News - october 19, 2015
SD state parks to Host Halloween events
PIERRE, S.D. - Campgrounds are open year-round, and several parks will host trick-or-treaters at special events this Halloween season.
Make plans to attend a Halloween event:
- Halloween Night Hike, Friday and Saturday, October 23 - 24, 5:30 to 8 p.m. MDT at the Peter Norbeck Visitor Center in Custer State Park. Participants take a guided one-mile night hike along a path lit only by jack-o-lanterns during this festive educational event. The event is geared to expose families to the interesting and humorous sights, sounds and night life of Custer. Hikes take place every 15 minutes. Reservations are required. Info/reservations: 605.255.4464
- Canine Halloween Hike and Costume Contest, Saturday, Oct. 24 at 3 p.m. CDT at Good Earth State Park near Sioux Falls. Bring your dog in costume and join a guided hike. Prizes will be awarded for the best costumes. Dogs must be on a leash. Info: 605.987.2263
- Big Sioux Trick or Treat Trails, Saturday, Oct. 24, 5 to 8 p.m. CDT at Big Sioux Recreation Area near Brandon. Dress in your Halloween costumes and trick-or-treat along the trail. Bring a flashlight and search for reflective signs along the way. Info: 605.582.7243
- LaFramboise Island Trick or Treat Trails, Sunday, Oct. 25, 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. CDT at LaFramboise Island Nature Area in Pierre. A trail marked by reflective signs will guide participants through the wooded nature area. Trick-or-treaters can gather prizes, informational material and treats by visiting event sponsors at stops along the trail. Bring a flashlight. Info: 605.773.2885
- Forest Drive Fright Night, Saturday, Oct. 31, 5 to 8:30 p.m. CDT at Richmond Lake Recreation Area. Celebrate Halloween with a spooky night at the park. Fun for all ages including a scavenger hunt, coloring contest and hay rides. Info: 605.626.3488
Reservations for campsites, camping cabins and group lodges can be made online at campsd.com or by calling 1.800.710.2267.
For more information on the state parks or to see a calendar of upcoming events, visit gfp.sd.gov or call 605.773.3391.