GFP News - May 7, 2015
GFP Offers Free Park Entrance and Free Fishing May 15-17
PIERRE, S.D. -- The school year is winding down, the weather is heating up and SD Game, Fish and Parks' annual Open House and Free Fishing Weekend is approaching. This statewide event allows everyone free entrance to state parks and free fishing May 15 - 17.
During the three-day event, anglers can fish without a license anywhere in the state, and entrance fees are waived for all visitors to South Dakota's state parks and recreation areas. Camping fees still apply. Fishing regulations and limits apply.
The parks are hosting free events, programs and activities throughout the weekend.
Friday, May 15
- Light My Fire, Mina Lake Recreation Area, Aberdeen. Info: 605-626-3488
- Open House Celebration, Custer State Park, Custer. Info: 605-255-4464
Saturday, May 16
- Step Outside, Newton Hills State Park, near Canton. Info: 605-987-2263
- Kids To Parks Day, Oahe Downstream Recreation Area, near Fort Pierre. Info: 605-223-7722
- Donkey Dash 5K Fun Run and Walk, Adams Homestead and Nature Preserve, North Sioux City. Info: 605-232-0873
- Seasonal Volksmarch Trail, Custer State Park, Custer. Info: 605-255-4464
- Give Pie a Try, Lewis and Clark Recreation Area, Yankton. Info: 605-668-2985
- Mystery Nature Hike, Richmond Lake Recreation Area, Aberdeen. Info: 605-626-3488
- Fantastic Family Fishing, Palisades State Park, Garretson. Info: 605-594-3824
- Light My Fire, Richmond Lake Recreation Area, Aberdeen. Info: 605-626-3488
- Disc Golf Demonstration and Instruction, Hartford Beach State Park, Corona. Info: 605-432-6374
Sunday, May 17
- Mystery Nature Hike, Mina Lake Recreation Area, Aberdeen. Info: 605.626.3488
Camping reservations at South Dakota State Parks can be made 24 hours a day. Make reservations online at campsd.com or by calling 1-800-710-2267.
Visit gfp.sd.gov for more information or to see a complete list of state parks.