GFP News - May 22, 2014
Enjoy Summer Activities At A South Dakota State Park
PIERRE, S.D. -- Summer is near, and South Dakota state parks are offering several ways to enjoy time outside.
On May 31 state parks will host several events.
- Mountain Bike Race, LaFramboise Island Nature Area, 8:30 a.m. CDT. The LaFramboise Island Mountain Bike Race takes bikers on a fast, fairly flat course that features a few tight corners and fun challenges. Several divisions are available, based on gender and skill. Entry fee of $20 per riders. Registration: 8:30-10 a.m. CDT; race meeting: 10:15 a.m.; race start: 10:30 a.m. Info: 605-224-7054.
- Nature Hike, Good Earth State Park near Sioux Falls, 9 a.m. CDT. Join a naturalist on an exploration of Good Earth State Park. Registration is advised. Info: 605-987-2263.
- Kidsâ€™ Fishing Derby, Oakwood Lakes State Park near Bruce, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. CDT. Kids ages 4-15 can participate in this annual fishing derby. Register at 10 a.m. at the Welcome Center. Bring a pole, bait will be provided. Prizes for all participants! Info: 605-627-5441.
- Who Lives in a Tree?, Newton Hills State Park near Canton, 1 p.m. CT. Enjoy a fun and educational program about the wildlife at Newton Hills. Info: 605-987-2267.
- Dutch Oven Gathering Night, Pierson Ranch Recreation Area near Yankton, 6 p.m. CDT. This creative cooking event is geared toward the entire family. Some Dutch ovens will be provided, but bring your own if possible. Info: 605-668-2985.
The programs are open to all ages. A park entrance license is required to enter Oakwood Lakes, Newton Hills and Pierson Ranch.
For more information on South Dakota state parks and a full calendar of events, visit www.gfp.sd.gov or call 605-773-3391.