GFP News - August 8, 2014
- 2014 Fall Turkey Season Finalized
- 2014 Waterfowl Hunting Seasons Finalized
- 2014 Mountain Lion and Bobcat Hunting Seasons Finalized
2014 Fall Turkey Season Finalized
PIERRE, S.D. - The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) Commission has finalized the 2014 fall turkey hunting season. The fall turkey season will begin Nov. 1, 2014, and end Jan. 31, 2015.
Fall turkey hunters will see a reduction in turkey licenses available and the closure of several West River and East River counties. The Black Hills unit includes a boundary change which retains an open area on the eastern and southern areas of the Black Hills; including a reduction in licenses from 1,500 to 750. Fall turkey hunters will be limited to a total of two turkey licenses.
2014 Waterfowl Hunting Seasons Finalized
PIERRE, S.D. - The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) Commission finalized the 2014 waterfowl hunting seasons at their August meeting.
2014 Duck Hunting Season Information:
- High Plains Zone: Oct. 11, 2014 - Jan. 15, 2015
- Low Plains North and Low Plains Middle Zone: Sept. 27 - Dec. 9, 2014
- Low Plains South Zone: Oct. 11 - Dec. 23, 2014
- Daily Limit: 6 ducks
- The duck limit may be comprised of no more than five mallards (which may include no more than two hens), three wood ducks, three scaup, two redheads, two pintails and one canvasback.
- In addition, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service recently approved an experimental three year bonus blue-winged teal season; which allows hunters two additional blue-winged teal for a daily bag limit of eight ducks the first 16 days of the season.
- Possession Limit: Three times the daily bag limit.
2014 Goose Hunting Season Information:
- Light Geese Statewide: Sept. 27 - Dec. 21, 2014
- Canada Geese (and Brant):
- Unit 1: Oct. 1 - Dec. 16, 2014
- Unit 2: Nov. 3, 2014 - Feb. 15, 2015
- Unit 3: Jan. 10-18, 2015
- White-Fronted Geese Statewide: Sept. 27 - Dec. 7, 2014
- Daily Limit:
- Light Geese: 50
- Canada Geese: Unit 1: 8 | Unit 2: 4 | Unit 3:4
- White-Fronted Geese: 2
- Possession Limit: Unlimited for light geese. All other geese would have a possession limit of three times the daily limit.
The Commission's finalization includes an increase to the daily bag limit for light geese from 20 to 50. The Canada goose season includes a change to the start date for Unit 2; which will begin on a Monday and end on a Sunday. Harvest information indicates a higher level of opportunity and participation at the end of the season; shifting the opening weekend to the end of the season.
Mountain Lion and Bobcat Hunting Seasons Finalized
PIERRE, S.D. Â â€“ There were no proposed changes to the upcoming mountain lion hunting season nor were there proposed changes to the bobcat hunting and trapping season at the recent South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks’ (GFP) Commission meeting. Â As a result, there will be no public hearing and both seasons will follow the same structure as last year.
The mountain lion hunting season begins Dec. 26, 2014, and ends on March 31, 2015. The harvest limit is set at 75 total lions or 50 female lions; whichever comes first. If either harvest limit is reached, the season then closes in the Black Hills Fire Protection Unit. However, the statewide mountain lion hunting season runs year round, with no harvest limits. Custer State Park (CSP) will have eight separate hunting intervals; four of which will allow the use of dogs. Licensed mountain lion hunters can apply for a free CSP access permit, drawn in a lottery process.
The bobcat trapping and hunting season begins Dec. 26, 2014, and ends on Feb. 15, 2015 for all West River counties. For Buffalo, Brule, Charles Mix, Bon Homme and Yankton counties, the season begins Dec. 26, 2014, and ends Jan. 18, 2015. Trappers or hunters who participate in the East River bobcat season are limited to one bobcat per person.
For more information on mountain lion hunting in South Dakota, visit http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/big-game/mountain-lion.aspx and for more on the bobcat hunting season, visit http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/predator-varmint-furbearer/default.aspx.