purchase or apply for a license
General hunting/fishing licenses; such as fishing, small game, combination, furbearer, predator/varmint or migratory bird are available in unlimited quantities and are sold through over 400 agent locations across the state. They can also be purchased online.
Deer, antelope, elk, mountain goat, bighorn sheep, turkey, nonresident waterfowl and paddlefish licenses are issued through a lottery application process.
What you will need
- Log In information (create a new user profile if necessary)
- Credit/Debit Card (Mastercard, VISA, American Express accepted)
- Printer (print nonresident waterfowl license if successful in the draw and nonresident September goose licenses)
Having trouble with the online license system? Contact us for help.
Disabled Hunter Licenses
- Reduced Fee Hunting and Fishing card for persons with total disability and certain veterans - South Dakota residents who qualify and are approved will be issued a Disabled/Veteran Hunting and Fishing Card for a $10 fee. Persons with Developmental Dissabilities - South Dakota residents who qualify and are approved will be issued a Developmentally Disabled Fishing Card for a $10 fee.
- Total Disability Reduced Fee Application
- Veterans Disability Reduced Fee Application
- Disabled Hunter Permit allows a qualified hunter to lawfully shoot game animals from a stationary motor vehicle (normally illegal).
- Designated Shooter is one that the applicant may designate to legally hunt or take game on their behalf.
Nursing Facility Group Fishing License
- Nursing homes applying for this license must be licensed by the state as a nursing facility.
- The license only applies to permanent residents of the nursing home. It does not apply to staff or employees of the nursing home.
- Daily limits for individuals participating in the group fishing license shall be the same as for resident fishing licenses.
- Cost of the license is $35.
- Nursing homes wishing to apply for this license should send a request on their company letterhead to the Licensing Office, 20641 SD Hwy 1806, Ft. Pierre, SD 57532. The letter must contain the Nursing Home license number for the facility and the number of beds in the facility.