Spring Light Goose hunting
This Conservation Order is issued annually for a spring hunt to control an overabundance of these geese. Light geese generally migrate into the eastern one-third of South Dakota in late February to early March.
Shooting Hours: One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
Season Dates: Feb. 15 - May 4, 2014
Daily Limit: Unlimited
Possession Limit: Unlimited
Legal Species: Snows, Blues and Ross' Geese.
Nontoxic Shot: Approved nontoxic shot includes steel shot, bismuth-tin, tungsten-polymer, tungsten-matrix, and any combination of tungsten-iron-nickel-tin-copper-bismuth.
Electronic Calls: Use of tapes of migratory bird calls or sounds, or electronically amplified imitations of bird calls is allowed.
- SD residents, one of the following:
- annual small game,
- 1-day small game,
- youth small game,
- junior combination, or
- senior combination license
- Migratory Bird Certification stamp
- Federal Waterfowl Stamp is not required
- SD residents who are at least 12 years old may buy licenses and hunt. Hunters age 12-15 will need a hunter safety card.
- Nonresident licenses can be purchased online with a credit card or over the counter at storefront license agents.
- Adult license: $50, valid for entire conservation order.
- Youth license (ages 12-15): $26. -Hunters age 12-15 need hunter safety card.
- No other license or stamp is required.
- The federal waterfowl stamp is not required for this event.
Spring Light Goose Hunting Tools
- Waterfowl Hunting Opportunity Thunderstorm Map and Spring Migration Report
- Public Hunting Areas: We offer over 1 million acres of Walk-In Areas (private land leased for public hunting) to supplement our many other public hunting opportunities. Not only can you access these maps, but we offer options to personalize maps to meet your needs and even download map information to your GPS unit.
- Hunter Harvest Survey Reports: A scientific sampling of hunters is taken after many hunting seasons. The information you provide is not only valuable to our biologists, but is good background information for you on the past year.