Pheasant management plan
Season Dates: Oct. 17, 2015 through Jan. 3, 2016
Open Area: All of South Dakota except the following:
- Sand Lake National Wildlife Refuge in Brown County, Renziehausen Game Production Area and Game Bird Refuge in Brown and Marshall Counties, Gerken Game Bird Refuge in Faulk County and White Lake Game Bird Refuge in Marshall County are open Dec. 14, 2015-Jan. 3, 2016.
Daily Limit: 3 rooster pheasants
Possession Limit: 15 rooster pheasants, taken according to the daily limit. The limit accrues at the rate of 3 birds a day, and 15 birds may not be possessed until after the fifth day of hunting.
Shooting Hours: 12 Noon, Central Time for the first 7 days of the season; 10 a.m., Central Time, to sunset the rest of the season. NOTE: Central Time is used for opening shooting hours statewide.
Future Opening Dates: The pheasant season traditionally opens on the third Saturday in October.
- 2015 Pheasant Brood Survey Report
- 2015 Pheasant Outlook
- 10 Year Brood Count Trends
- 2014 Pheasant Economics
- Residents = Small Game License, or Combination License, or Junior Combination License, or Youth Small Game License; or 1-Day Small Game License.
- Nonresidents = Nonresident Small Game License, or Nonresident Youth Small Game License (each valid for two 5-day hunting periods; start dates must be identified before license issued).
Pheasant Hunter & Pheasant Distribution Map
- View Larger Map - this content as well as the above is based on 2014 pheasant hunter data.