The spring turkey season offers licenses specifically designated for the prairie units, the Black Hills, Custer State Park, and an archery season.
Hunters have the opportunity to apply for a license in each of the different seasons. In fact, there is an opportunity to get additional licenses for the prairie season. Details may be found in the application information for these seasons.
- Season Dates:
Prairie - April 12 - May 18, 2014 for all units except Davison/Hanson (08A & B), Clay (19A & B), Lincoln (44A & B) and Union (62A & B). View application for those individual season dates.
- All state parks, recreation areas and lakeside use areas are closed to hunting after Apr. 30, except Sica Hollow State Park and Cheyenne River Lakeside Use Area which are open through May 18.
Black Hills - April 12 - May 18, 2014
Custer State Park - April 12 - May 18, 2014
Archery - April 5 - May 18, 2014
- Spring Turkey Application
(Available - January)
(First Deadline - Feb. 14)
- Apply Online
- Leftover Licenses
- Drawing Results
- Past Drawing Statistics
- Public Hunting Areas
- Spring Turkey Regulations
- Request information be mailed
- Tentative Future Season Dates
- View all applications / deadlines
surveys and reports
Archery Access Permits for Adams Nature Area and Good Earth State Park
A free Residents-Only Access Permit is required to hunt archery turkey in Adams Homestead and Nature Preserve in Union County and Good Earth State Park near Sioux Falls.
- To obtain these free Access Permits, you must first purchase the Spring Archery Turkey License. After you have received your license, the Access Permits may be applied for only on the GFP website.
- 10 resident archery licensees will be selected through a random drawing to hunt at Good Earth State Park and 10 resident archery licensees to hunt at Adams Homestead and Nature Preserve. Access permits valid from April 5-30.
- The deadline to apply for the Access Permits is March 5, 2014 at 8 a.m. CT.
- Sign Up
Spring Turkey Unit Map:
- Archery spring turkey licenses are not valid in dark gray area (Brookings County west of Interstate 29 and Custer State Park.)