2014 Mountain Lion season harvest status will be available on opening day: December 26, 2013.
South Dakota has had a residents-only mountain lion season since 2005.
A statewide season offers an unlimited number of licenses. Custer State Park is included in the statewide license, however, hunters who have received a statewide mountain lion license must apply for limited-issue time slots to hunt in Custer State Park. Apply for Free Access Permits to Custer State Park.
The statewide license is sold throughout the season.
- Season Dates:
- Statewide: Year-round on land that is located outside of the Black Hills Fire Protection District.
- Black Hills (Within Black Hills Fire Protection District):
Dec. 26, 2013 - Mar. 31, 2014, or ends with quota
2014 Harvest Limit: A maximum harvest of 75 mountain lions (or 50 female mountain lions) has been established for the Black Hills Fire Protection District. Mountain lion hunting in the Black Hills will close immediately when either the total harvest limit or the female harvest limit is met. Please check the Mountain Lion Season Harvest Status to view the current status of the quota, or call TOLL-FREE 1.866.895.9067.
Reporting a Mountain Lion Kill: All harvested mountain lions must be presented to a GFP representative for inspection within 24 hours of harvest.
- Mountain lions harvested in the Black Hills must be reported to GFP personnel, and checked in at the Rapid City GFP Regional Office (4130 Adventure Trail at the site of the Rapid City Outdoor Campus) or the park headquarters at Custer State Park.
- Hunters who are successful in taking a mountain lion must call the GFP Regional Office at 605.394.2391, or CSP office headquarters at 605.225.4515, during weekday office hours (8 a.m.-5 p.m.), or call State Radio at 605.393.8121 during nights and weekends.
- Arrangements can then be made to have a GFP representative meet the hunter at the Rapid City GFP Office or the headquarters at Custer State Park.
- Individuals who take mountain lions outside of the Black Hills must contact a Conservation Officer or other GFP representative within 24 hours of kill to arrange for inspection of the carcass and pelt.
- Available to SD residents only
- Mountain Lion Application
(Available - November )
- Apply Online
- Apply for Free Access Permits to Custer State Park
- General Mountain Lion Information
- Drawing Results
- Past Drawing Statistics
- Public Hunting Areas
- Big Game Regulations
- Request information be mailed
- View all applications / deadlines
surveys and reports
- Mountain Lion Mortality List
- Hunter Harvest Locations
- Hunter Harvest Survey Reports
- Hunter Survey Report