Black Hills Firearms Elk
South Dakota residents who have not received a Black Hills firearms elk license in the preceding nine years are eligible to apply.
- Season Dates:
Black Hills- Oct. 1-31, 2016 for Any Elk; Oct. 17-31, 2016 and Dec. 1-15, 2016 for Antlerless Elk
Requirements and Restrictions:
- No person may possess more than one (1) elk license of any type in a year.
- No more than two persons may submit applications together.
- Except for landowner/operator preference applicants, no person who receives a license in the first drawing for this season shall be eligible to apply for a Black Hills elk license in first drawings for the next 9 years.
- One-half of the licenses allocated in each unit are available for landowner/operator preference. One member of each qualifying landowner/operator household may apply every year.
- Each elk harvested must be inspected by a Conservation Officer or designee within 24 hours after kill.
- Available to SD residents only
- 2016 Black Hills Elk Application
(Available - May )
(First Deadline - May 20 )
- Apply Online
- All landowner preference applicants must apply by paper application.
Black Hills Firearms Elk unit map