South Dakota residents who have not received an Archery Elk license in the preceding nine years are eligible to apply.
- Season Dates:
Archery Elk - Sept. 1 - Sept. 30
Please refer to the Archery Elk Application at right for specific dates in their respective units.
Requirements and Restrictions:
- No person may possess more than one (1) elk license of any type in a year.
- No more than two persons may submit applications together.
- Except for landowner/operator preference applicants, no person who receives a license in the first drawing for this season shall be eligible to apply for an archery elk license in first drawings for the next 9 years.
- One-half of the licenses allocated in each unit are available for landowner/operator preference application.
One member of each qualifying landowner/operator household may apply every year.
- Each elk harvested must be inspected by a Conservation Officer or designee within 24 hours after kill.
- Each unsuccessful hunter must mail the report card to GFP within 10 days after the close of the season.
- Licensees in Unit 30A may also hunt in Boyd County, Nebraska when the Nebraska elk season is open in Boyd County.
- Leftover Licenses
- Drawing Results
- Past Drawing Statistics
- Public Hunting Areas
- Big Game Regulations
- Request information be mailed
- View all applications / deadlines