West River Deer
The West River Deer season includes most of South Dakota west of the Missouri River and outside of the Black Hills. The short grass prairie is home to mule deer, with whitetails scattered along drainages and the rare wooded areas.
Both residents and nonresidents may apply for limited licenses available in specific units (usually by county).
- Season Dates:
West River Deer - Nov. 15 - Nov. 30, 2014
Some units have different season dates, refer to the application for details.
- Antlerless season extension: only those tags specifically designated as "antlerless" are valid from December 27 - January 4 for all west river units. "Any" deer tags no longer convert for this extended season.
Another license option South Dakota residents have for West River Deer is the Special Buck license which allows you to hunt in all West River Deer units on private land only. The license is valid for one "any deer" for the dates of the regular West River Deer Season.
- West River Deer Application
(Available - June )
(First Deadline - July 18 )
- Apply Online
- Leftover Licenses
- Drawing Results
- Past Drawing Statistics
- Public Hunting Areas
- Big Game Regulations
- Request information be mailed
- Tentative Future Season Dates
- View all applications / deadlines