A statewide deer hunting season specifically for the use of primitive muzzleloader firearms traditionally opens December 1.
A limited number of "any deer" licenses are available to residents only.
"Antlerless whitetail deer" permits are available to both residents and nonresidents and sold through the end of the season.
- Season Dates:
Muzzleloader Deer - Dec. 1-31 any deer; Jan. 1 - Jan. 15 antlerless whitetail
- Hunters must wear fluorescent orange.
- Only scopes up to 1X may be used.
- Smokeless powder is not allowed during muzzleloading seasons.
- In seasons restricted to muzzleloading rifles, no telescopic sights may be used. Telescopic sights are those sights that utilize magnification.
- Muzzleloader Deer Application
(Available - June )
(First Deadline - Sept. 2 )
- Apply Online
Free access permits
In addition to a license, a FREE access permit is required to hunt certain areas during this season. An access permit is obtained/applied for through the online license system.
Access Permit for Hill Ranch GPA, Little Moreau GPA, and all Custer National Forest Service land within Harding County: FREE Access Permit required for Archery, Muzzleloader and Youth deer hunting.
- The Access Permits for these areas are not limited.
- For more information on these areas, view; Unit 27L (Hill Ranch GPA), Unit 24B (Little Moreau GPA), and Unit 35L (Custer National Forest Land within Harding Co.) on the West River firearms webpage.
- To obtain these permits, you must first purchase the license type that is valid for these areas.
- This permit may be obtained at anytime throughout the season, however, please leave ample time for the permit to be processed and mailed to you.
- More Info >
- Sign Up